We’ve been continuing on our intense journey toward becoming an Eden Registry facility once again.
This approach to person-directed care initially came to life in nursing homes and has since expanded its reach to all care settings. Eden Alternative creators firmly believe culture change unfolds one relationship at a time, and deep change can only take root when the entire continuum of care is involved.
We have a mixed group of people throughout the facility (department heads, nurse supervisors, housekeeper, dietary workers, laundry worker, MDS nurses, social workers, etc.) who have been undergoing extensive training to become Certified Eden Associates. Approximately 25 of our staff have reached this part of our journey and received their pins, and it’s very exciting! Here are their guiding principles:
- We believe in eliminating loneliness, helplessness and boredom for everyone on the care partner team.
- We support choice, dignity, respect, self-determination and purposeful living for everyone we serve.
- We believe “care” means helping another to grow.
- We promote a person-directed approach to care that puts the person first. To learn more about person-directed care, go to www.edenalt.org.
- We believe in an approach that doesn’t see the needs of caregivers as separate from care receivers, but promotes the well-being of the whole care partnership.
- We are all partners in care. Care partner teams work together collaboratively to eliminate loneliness, helplessness and boredom.
Our work so far has involved everyone in one way or another. Whether someone has contributed to the creation of our new mission or vision statements, or been part of a Learning Circle, they’ve had a hand in changing our culture to one of putting residents first even more so than we already do. Well done.